Gheymeh – Saffron & Tumeric Braised Stew
A wonderful, colourful and aromatic Persian Dish( Stew).
The Yellow orange colour of split pea with fragrant aroma of Saffron and Amani Lime (dried Persian lime) increases the appetite and immerses you in the world of scent.
Recipe Compliments of – Chef Behzad Jamshidi
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Meanwhile, in an oven safe, heavy base pot, heat up a few table spoons of olive oil until smoking – a Dutch oven would be ideal for this. Meanwhile, season generously both sides of the chicken meat with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Carefully place the chicken away from you into the pan, and allow the meat to caramelize for 2-3 minutes before turning over and continuing to caramelize for another 2-3 minutes on the opposite side. Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside until later.
- Turn the heat of your pot onto medium low, and add onions with a small pinch of salt; this helps pull moisture out of the onions, and encourages them not to over caramelize. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute until the garlic is aromatic. Add tomato paste and turmeric powder and cook out for another 2-3 minutes until the tomato paste darkens and slightly caramelizes. Add fresh tomatoes, and cook until soft and almost dissolved, about 5 minutes. You should have something resembling a paste.
- Add Cinnamon, Saffron, Advieh, Stock and Yellow Split Lentils. Give a good stir to combine. It is important to impart flavor into the braise while it cooks, so season lightly to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add Chicken into the braising liquid, top with addition water or stock to assure Chicken is completely covered. Once at a boil, cover with a tightly fitting lid or aluminum foil and place in the oven for a minimum of 45minutes and up to 1 ½. The longer the Chicken braises, the more tender the result.
- Once Chicken is tender, add the juice of one lime and any additional salt or pepper if necessary. Serve with rice or bread.
- 4 lb Chicken Legs & Thighs, Bone-In
- 1 Cup Yellow Split Peas, Rinsed 2-3 Times
- 2 Medium Sized Yellow Onion, Sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
- 4 Fresh Roma Tomatoes, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Advieh spice or Garam Masala
- 1 Pinch Saffron, (1 sachet) Finely Ground
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon or ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 4 Amani Limes, Lightly Cracked Open
- 2 Quarts Chicken or Beef Stock
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper To Taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons 0f Olive Oil For Frying
- CAD: $36.99